Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center, Photo: Colleen Curry

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Object Selection and Scanning

Today I continued working on the new exhibit. I pulled all of the objects that I have chosen so far for the cases. The three dimensional objects I have chosen for the poaching/civilian and army scout case include a bear trap, a small game trap, wooden cross country skiis, a camera used by a scout, a leather bound pamphlet of rules and regulations for Army soldiers and civilian scouts, a rifle confiscated from a poacher, and a pistol found in a cache which likely belonged to a poacher. I have also chosen several photos portraying scouts and the snoeshoe cabins they used in the winter. After pulling the objects from storage, I scanned the photographs so they will be ready to print and mount for the exhibit.

Mud Volcano Snoeshoe Cabin

Dead Buffalo, killed by poachers

Soldiers from the Soda Butte Soldier Station

Army Scouts

I am having a little trouble finding three dimensional objects for the "Creation of the National Park Service" case. So far, all I have an early NPS ranger uniform (including hat, boots, shirt, and pants). I have selected a few photographs for this case as well: portraits of Stephen Mather and Chester Lindsley, who were both very important figures during the transition from Army to civilian control of the park. I still need to select a portrait of Horace Albright, an early superintendent of Yellowstone and later, the director of the National Park Service.

Chester A. Lindsley

Stephen Mather

After scanning the photographs, I made identification, or "tombstone" labels for the objects I have already selected. Then, I went to the library to do some additional research for the exhibit text labels. I found some transcripts of scout diaries and a few articles, and proceeded to read them and some history books for the remainder of the day. At 5:00 pm, my brother (who is visiting) came by for an insider's tour of the collection and storage area. He was really excited to see all the objects and what I have been working on all summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment